Converting an active Group Life Insurance policy to an individual plan:
An employee or spouse is entitled to obtain an individual life insurance policy without evidence of insurability if he/she meets the following conditions:
1. All or part of the life insurance for the person under this policy terminates on or before his/her 65th birthday.
2. A person must apply for the individual policy in writing and pay the first premium
within 31 days after the insurance terminates. In the case of insurance for the
spouse, either the employee or the spouse may apply.
Why would a member convert?
- If you wish to obtain individual insurance without having to qualify medically
- If you will not have group life insurance upon leaving your employment
- If you cannot or prefer not to buy other individual insurance
How much can I convert?
- The amount of your group life insurance, to a maximum of $200,000
How much will it cost?
- This will depend on your age, gender and smoking status
How do I convert?
- Contact the benefits office at 204-953-2101 to obtain a Group Life Conversion Privilege Notification form.
What is the effective date of coverage?
- The effective date of the individual policy is the day following the end of the 31-day conversion period.
Please note, if you wish to take advantage of this conversion option, you must apply for the conversion and pay the first monthly premium within 31 days of the termination of your Group Life coverage.
Converting an active Group Health/Dental policy to an individual plan:
Terminating plan members also have the option to purchase individual health and dental coverage if they need this type of insurance once their group benefits terminate.
As different insurers have different rules about conversion and the ages of the applicant or applicant’s spouse, please make sure you check the eligibility rules of the insurer from whom you are considering purchasing an individual policy.